Found a skein of "Full O' Sheep" in the colourway, Meadow, on clearance for 50 cents (yes, it was 90% off) and decided to knit these mitts (31 of 50).
The pattern called for size 5 dpns but it was darn near impossible to use size 5 needles with the single-ply yarn! After frogging it a couple of times, I finally ended up using size 10 dpns (a quick check in the label had suggested size 9 needles...but I'm a tight knitter). Unfortunately, that meant that I had to make a few modifications along the way. The biggest change was a two leaf repeat as opposed to three leaves. I much prefer the three leaf look, so I'll have to try this pattern again with another yarn.
This was one of those "Duh!" moments for me. While sorting through my yarn stash (yet again!), I found a skein of yarn that I sorta love. The rich jewel tones of the yarn is what draws me to it...but I can't abide the fun fur yarn that it was plied with! The yarn has been in my stash for a few years (circa mid 2000s when fun fur yarn and their derivatives were trendy).
With the help of my favourite top whorl spindle, I am unplying the yarn so that I can do something (finally!) with the gorgeous lofty yarn!
Here it is, all "unplied" and sitting pretty on the spindle.
And in it's final form - one happy shiny jewel hued ball of yarn ready to be knitted.
Now I'm off to find more "not-so-loved- yarns in my stash with the hopes of making them them more useable/lovable!
I rummaged through my stash of fibers and found more squishy undyed rovings to paint!
Lady Victoria (BFL)
My Backyard (BFL)
Colour Palette (BFL)
Fairy Dust (BFL)
Elves & Pixies (BFL)
Everything But The Spindle (Merino/Silk)
Gemini I & II (Merino/Silk)
Tropical Breeze (Merino)
Kiwi Splash (Merino)
Potion 4 Me (Merino)
Lavender Stalks (Merino)
Whee! Done! It was the easiest fingerless mitts pattern to work with...ever! I used size 8 dpns on a hank of over-dyed worsted weight wool that was ~ 100 yards at the start of the project and I have ~ 3 yards left. Close shave!
Pair of red mitts (30 of 50)
Gratuitous close-up of mitts
The spiral rib really does allow for a great fit! The fingerless mitts were quite stretchy and I can see how it'll fit a variety of hand sizes. This is going on my list of gifts to knit for the 2011 holiday season!
I finally finished knitting the Lazy Day Lace Shawl. It lies in a crumpled heap, waiting to be blocked. So nope, no pictures of the final product just yet. I already have the perfect button selected for it, so I really should get going with the blocking!
Meanwhile, I started knitting a pair of Jader Mitts. I was lured by the spiral design of the mitts, which promises good fit with no need for extra shaping in the pattern. Hmmm.
Some handpainted, others dip dyed.
When I first embarked on my dyeing adventures (control freak and scientist that I am), I took detailed notes on all the dye combinations I used to create the dyed fibers...anticipating that I might want to re-create a particular colour combination.
Fast forward four years later and I've long given up on recording as I dye, much preferring to dye with abandon using whatever colours I mixed on a whim. So far, I'm happy with this process of creating one-of-a-kind-never-to-be-repeated-at-a-later-date dyed fibers.
Colourful Thing #1 - Dorset, 2.40 oz
Colourful Thing #2 - Wool/Silk Blend, 1.90 oz
Colourful Thing #3 - Wool/Silk Blend, 2.45 oz
And some dip dyed mystery wool rovings (received from a swap ages ago!) that were rather blah before dyeing...
True Blood - 1.60 oz
Teal Streams - 1.60 oz
California Cabernet - 1.45 oz
Started the Lazy Day Lace Shawl using KnitPick's Palette Yarn (100% Peruvian Wool) in Merlot Heather colourway! In my mind, merlot should be more of a deep maroon colour, but this yarn seems to have more deep brown tones to it.